Wednesday, March 3, 2010

A nice big dose of perspective...

Ok so as most of you know, yesterday was Charlie's appointment to get his helmet to fix his flat spot. I woke up yesterday morning feeling sorry for myself (and Charlie) and thinking...this is the last morning for a while that I can hold my baby and kiss his soft fuzzy head. That's when God gave me a swift kick in the pants...

I checked facebook as I always do and there was a link to a blog that one of my friends had shared. It is a blog written by a couple that lives near Houston and is about their little girl named Layla Grace (www.laylagrace.org). Layla is a beautiful 10 month old precious girl...that is dying of cancer. Now I will spare you all from the details because it is truley heartbreaking (but please keep this family in your prayers) but let's just say that was a huge wake up call. HELLO Dana...your child is perfect, healthy, free of pain, learning, growing, happy, beautiful. Excuse my french here but, what the hell am I complaining about?? So my baby has to wear a helmet for a couple months...so it's annoying and ugly and provoke stares and comments...all true, but what would that family give just to have a few days in my life. I was overwhelmed with sadness, shame, and guilt. Never again God...never again will you hear me complain about this. So I would like to take a moment to thank God for my beautiful helmet wearing baby! Thank you God for the beautiful miracle you have put in my life (even as he is currently screaming as I write this :) and please help me to never take him for granted again!!

I know this is a tad "heavy" and a bit depressing, but I really felt like God wanted me to share these thoughts. So, thank you so much everyone for all the messages, calls and emails checking on how I was doing yesterday, but honestly, I was doing great...praising the Lord for my perfect (albeit flat headed) baby boy Charlie.

So, now what you all came here for...the pics!! Charlie did get his helmet yesterday and he started wearing it today. We have a break in schedule. Today he wears it and hour then takes it off an hour etc. Tomorrow it goes to 2 hours on 1 hour off...the next day 4 on 1 off then 8 on 1 off...then finally by the 5th day on 23 hours off 1 hour. That continues until he "graduates". So far he has worn it twice today. He gets pretty sweaty underneath (that is normal and will evenutally stop once his body adjusts), but other than that he doesn't really have any reaction to it. He doesn't cry when we put it on...he actually doesn't seem to notice.

Waiting at the appointment to get the helmet...





A few pics from yesterday and today...







We are in the process of purchasing a set of decals to decorate it with which I am really excited about. I got it off www.blingyourband.com Here is a sample...obviously it will say Charlie instead of Name and the Charlie will be brown instead of blue. I'm going to put the name across the front and the monkey and Chunky Monkey on the back and then the dots throughout. :)

4 comments:

  1. That was a great post, D! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. And btw, Jason and i both think that Charlie looks ADORABLE in his helmet. We can't wait to see him next week!

    Love you all!
    aunt melaina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you noticed that Charlie has that "I love you Mommy" look in his eyes alot? It's so great to be able to share all these experiences with you all. What a lover boy!
    Also, lately, I've said this alot: Thank you God for providing the medical technology to "fix" this problem. Love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been following Layla's blog and it makes me cry every time I read something new. I do the same thing with Austin, get down and upset that my baby has all these things to deal with. Reading about family's like Layla's always makes me realize the same thing: I am lucky to have him just the way he is.

    I think he looks quite adorable and the stickers are going to be great! Before you know it the helmet will be gone and little man will be better than ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you have all these thoughts in your head about how people will look at Charlie. And I hope that, as you know I can be brutally honest some times, you'll take my comment seriously.

    I think he is so damn adorable in his helmet! And those stickers you're getting for him are gonna be so cute!

    Keep us updated on how you all are adjusting to it!

    Also, that first picture is priceless. Was he laughing?

    ReplyDelete