Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Happy Birthday Charlie!

Dear Charlie,

Today is your 3rd birthday.  It's so hard to believe that 3 years ago Daddy and I were sitting in a hospital room looking at you for the first time.  You were so small.  I remember thinking you had such long fingers and big eyes.  You didn't have much hair, but it was dark and your eyes were a dark blue.  I thought to myself, maybe you have my eyes and hair.  I had always pictured my kids as having very dark thick hair and dark eyes like Daddy.  I remember being so unsure about what to do with you and how to feel.  But, what I remember most is the feeling of love.  Deep love like I had never felt before.  Deep happiness of being a family of three.

Over the past three years you have done so much!  You have learned to walk and talk.  You've become a toddler, then a little boy.  You've been all over the country traveling with Mommy and Daddy and seeing so much.  You've seen snow and rain for the first time.  You've been swimming and gone on many wagon rides.  You've gotten to know two amazing sets of grandparents and a handful (heartfull) of awesome aunts and uncles.  You've gained a brother and a cousin.

You know what else you've done?  You've taught us all some pretty great stuff.  How to love.  How to be a parent, grandparent, aunt/uncle.  How to have REAL fun.  How to be so proud.  How to completely reset expectations of life and how it "should" be.  Who knew in that little body, you could do so much for so many people.

I just want you to know that no matter what happens there are so many of us that love you more than anything.  We are there for you.  We couldn't imagine life without you just the way you are.  We think you are one of the funniest, coolest people we know.

Happy Birthday sweet boy.  Love you to the moon and back.

Mommy, Daddy, & Dean (and many more people who love you so)


















I love you Charlie Bowen.


2 comments: